Isabella Michele Due 7/11/2011

Thursday, February 24, 2011

More bad news.

So, I didn't get the second U/S, the doctor made it clear that it wouldn't change anything. She just kept telling me how sorry she is that this is happening and asking if I'm okay. No, I am not okay. I'm not even a little okay. Then she told me something the Peri's office didn't happen to mention.

Velamentous cord insertion is an abnormal condition during pregnancy. Normally, the umbilical cord inserts into the middle of the placentaas it develops. In velamentous cord insertion, the umbilical cord inserts into the fetal membranes (choriamniotic membranes), then travels within the membranes to the placenta (between the amnion and the chorion). The exposed vessels are not protected by Wharton's jelly and hence are vulnerable to rupture. Rupture is especially likely if the vessels are near the cervix, in which case they may rupture in early labor, likely resulting in a stillbirth.
Early detection can reduce the need for emergency cesarean sections.[1]

Now, not only do we have HRHS, but we also have velamentous cord insertion. This pregnancy just keeps getting  more and more complicated and risky.

I am so pathetic I asked if there is any way they could have me admitted to the hospital for monitoring of Isabella, she said no, they wouldn't even consider it.

So, here we are, she has a bad heart, we have a bad cord. The cord could be an issue at any time, especially during birth. It could lead to her being stillborn. The heart "shouldn't" be an issue until I have her. How do I keep my sanity through this? I've lost 3 more pounds since the Peri visit, which means I am 13 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment